Friday, October 10, 2008

Bernard Weiner

text here

Our visiting scholar is Dr. Bernard Weiner from UCLA. He has provided us with a chapter from a handbook (Dweck, 2005) and has agreed to answer some of our questions. Please read the article and provide us with questions for him as a post by October 24 so we can work within his time frame.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a very informative chapter on perceived competence. It was interesting to learn about the psychology of others viewing a competent or incompetent person, and how these views can elicit sympathy, contempt, anger and/or admiration when succeeding or failing. My question is, does the interaction of viewing and judging competent or incompetent people effect the perceived competence of the person judging the competent or incompetent person? If so, how?

Anonymous said...

I also enjoyed this chapter. I liked the perspective given. My question comes from p. 11. Weiner is describing the interrelation of the the theories. The last line states, "Thus, what appears positive in the interpersonal context has negative consequences for personal motivation." If providing sympathy and pity to failure is positive, but decreases motivation, what do we do? Do we not show sympathy to increase motivation? (Is this like tough love?)

Kristina Mattis said...

There is an example given about Asian-Americans in that they expend a certain amount of effort to obtain competence and success since they work all the time (p. 22). As explained, this is a negative stereotype. Similarly, a person not working all the time could also be negatively viewed. However, the person who does not work all the time may know how to work more efficiently and, therefore, can complete a given task in a shorter amount of time thus expending less effort.

How can we optimize the levels of efficiency so that one does not have to expend a great deal of effort? Stated differently, how can someone become more efficient so that they can minimize their level of effort while still continuing the learning process? A benefit is that the efficient worker can learn more information in the same amount of time.

This leads me to think that maybe procrastinators are efficient workers.

Jozsef said...

In your chapter you describe the existence of both individuals and collective spheres where the perceived competence of others is constantly evaluated and re-evaluated. In these marketplaces of socially perceived competence, are there any specific units of measurements that are being compared in values in order to establish the temporary and socially accepted value of perceived competence?

Debrayh said...

Gina,
I agree with you, I was very interested in the interrelationship of the the theories.

My question is: If being sympathetic actually decreases motivation, is there a balance point that the teacher can achieve between sympathy, disappointment and anger and can this balance point become a skill that can be taught? Thus allowing teachers to support and motivate at the same time?

Kimi said...

The self vs. other dynamic is fascinating. The effects of measuring your own motivation through your eyes vs measuring your motivation when you think that you are acting for another is such an interesting comparison. I imagine that when you think that you are "working" for someone else it can have a huge impact on what and how you act.

Anonymous said...

This chapter 5 by B. Weiner was quite easy to follow and was almost identical to what I have read by A. Bandura on self-efficacy. The paradoxical results that can occur are symptomatic of human relations.
On page 16, Dr. Weiner dicusses "envy" that results in the observer when he attributes success to a characteristic of the individual that is an aptitude. My question is "Could the construal of the success as being due to an inborn aptitude, and the subsequent envy that arises, be thought of as a defense mechanism in the observer that relieves him of any responsibility for his own lesser achievement in the same activity?"

Shannon Halkyard said...

Hello guys,

Interesting chapter. I have a couple questions/comments.

First, I would like more info on figure two, especially connecting back to the three-space of locus, stability, and controllability for causes of success/failure/surprise outcomes.

Second, I wanted more info on resistance to social/peer pressure. Specifically I am thinking of how many Asian American students persist in being hard-working in spite of negative social consequences and how other students cave in to those consequences and become work-avoidant. What factors determine how students respond to social pressures?

Further: How can students who are susceptible to negative social pressure become more resistant?

-Shannon

Anonymous said...

Shannon,
Great question. It got me thinking. How powerful is the role of an adult mentor in overcoming negative social pressure from peers. When I think back on my younger years, I credit much of my success to adult mentors. Being as old as I am I don't know if that is just the way I selectively remember it or if their role was really that powerful.
Deb

Mark said...

Dr Weiner,

I am surprised that you decided to focus on stereotypes in your chapter. I would have thought an eminent scholar like yourself could get your point accross with resorting to a discussion of stereotypes which are generalized and at times, demeaning.

Also the discussion of "lying in a good way" is more generally referred to as false modesty and not exactly scholarly writing. I was expecting more.

Mark said...

Dr Weiner,

I am surprised that you decided to focus on stereotypes in your chapter. I would have thought an eminent scholar like yourself could get your point accross with resorting to a discussion of stereotypes which are generalized and at times, demeaning.

Also the discussion of "lying in a good way" is more generally referred to as false modesty and not exactly scholarly writing. I was expecting more.

Anonymous said...

Hello Dr. Weiner,
First, I am not sure why it happened, but there seems to be a typo in Figures 1 and 2 on our copy of your chapter. Instead of saying "Causal," both models have the word "Casual" in each instance -- quite a different meaning!

My question is this:
What if no emotion is communicated in the failing the test scenario? What if, instead, the other person encourages metagcognition by asking "What was in the way of your doing better on the test?" or "What can you do differently to prepare for the next test as a result of this experience?"

H. Stephen Glenn, in his book, "Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World" (1989) suggests the above strategy as a means of communicating perceptions of capability, thus scaffolding self-monitoring, self-evaluation, and goal setting skills. Over the long haul, don't we want students to become self-regulated AND motivated?

Anonymous said...

Dr. Weiner,

Thank you for taking the time to participate in this discussion. The ideas presented in this chapter were both very interesting and easy to synthesize.

My question is in reference to your section in this chapter on anger. What role do the perceptions of teachers and parents play in the anger students experience when they have not met the competence level that they were expected to achieve? Can the value judgement placed on students perceived ability to succeed hinder their persistance, thus affecting their motivation to keep "trying"? Is this at all related to students' self-efficacy in contrast with their perceived efficacy?